29 May Common Neurological Disorders
Are you in search of a neurologist near Stony Brook? Three Village Neurology can help accurately diagnose and treat your neurological disorder. A neurological disorder is a disease or condition that affects the brain, spine, and nervous system. These functions are what controls and maintain our bodies, so it’s important to take action if you have a condition that affects them adversely.
With over 600 known nervous system disorders, patients seeking neurological care is more prevalent than ever. Our neurologist near Stony Brook can help to diagnose and treat the most common as well as most complex neurological disorders you or someone you know may experience.
Common Neurological Disorders & Their Symptoms
- Vertigo & Dizziness – loss of balance and a sense of spinning; affects over 90 million Americans each year.
- Migraines – dull pain in the face and head and light sensitivity; affects over 38 million people in the US.
- Sleep Apnea – loud snoring and feeling of excessive tiredness after sleeping; an estimated 22 million people in the US are affected.
- Neuropathy – pins-and-needles sensation, pain, and numbness; more than 20 million people are estimated to have some form of neuropathy in the US.
- Brain Aneurysm – no symptoms for unruptured aneurysm, but a sudden, severe headache will occur with rupture; an estimated 6 million people have an unruptured aneurysm, with 30,000 people experiencing ruptures each year in the US.
- Alzheimer’s Disease – difficulty remembering and understanding things, confusion, disorientation; affects an estimated 5.5 million people in the US.
- Epilepsy and Seizures – loss of consciousness, confusion, muscle spasms; affects 3.4 million people in the US.
- Concussions – headache, confusion, nausea, fatigue after an injury; in the year 2014, 2.87 million US emergency room visits were for concussions.
- Stroke – numbness or weakness, especially on one side, confusion, difficulty speaking and seeing; affects over 795,000 people each year in the US.
- Brain Tumor – severe headaches, blurry vision, seizures; an estimated 23,820 brain tumors will be diagnosed in 2019 in the US.
- Parkinson’s Disease – tremors, stiffness, difficulty walking; an estimated 60,000 people are diagnosed with PD each year in the US.
- ALS – muscle weakness, difficulty walking and speaking; affects about 30,000 people in the United States.
- Multiple Sclerosis – pain, fatigue, tremors, and difficulty with coordination; affects an estimated 850,000 – 915,000 people in the US.
- Cerebral Palsy – stiff or floppy limbs and involuntary motions; affects 10,000 newborn babies each year in the US.
What Can A Neurologist Near Stony Brook Do?
Examples of the diagnostic procedures you might experience when visiting our office may include:
- Electroencephalogram (EEG) – tests for epilepsy.
- Electromyography (EMG) – tests for muscle and nerve conditions.
- Polysomnography – tests for sleep disorders, such as sleep apnea.
Because each neurological condition is different, treatments will vary. At our neurologist near Stony Brook, your specific treatment plan will be discussed after diagnostic results come in and the determination of your care plan will be made.
If you have any of these common neurological disorders or believe you might, please schedule an appointment with Three Village Neurology right away to receive the care you deserve from our neurologist near Stony Brook.