05 Sep What Does a Neurologist Do?
You Can Trust our Neurologist near Stony Brook
In 2012, there were approximately 16,500 neurologists in the United States, and this number is expected to be 18,000 by the year 2025. The demand for one is increasing too, but what is a neurologist? Neurology is defined as the study of the functions in the nervous system. If you need a neurologist near Stony Brook, Three Village Neurology can help.
The nervous system is divided into two sections: the central and peripheral nervous systems. The brain and the spinal cord make up the central nervous system. The peripheral nervous system is responsible for sending messages to these organs from other areas of the body. For example, when you burn your finger, the receptors send a message from the nerves in your fingers, through your arm, and to your brain to recognize pain. However, when the body does not recognize pain, or there is an error in the message, there can be complications. Our neurologist near Stony Brook can assist in a variety of ways.
What Kind of Symptoms will our Neurologist Treat?
Our neurologist near Stony Brook, Dr. James Bruno, helps treat people with various neurological symptoms. These include:
- Issues with coordination
- A weakness of the muscles
- Sensation changes
- Issues with senses (touch, smell, hearing, etc.)
What Does our Neurologist near Stony Brook Specialize in?
Dr. James Bruno specializes in various neurological conditions including:
- Epilepsy- Also known as a seizure disorder, this occurs when nerves misfire in the brain.
- Stroke- This occurs when blood supply to the brain has been cut off or reduced, depriving the brain of oxygen.
- Headaches- derives from the tissues and structures surrounding the brain, can sometimes be an indicator of a more serious issue.
- Multiple Sclerosis- A disease in which the immune system eats away at your cell’s protective covering.
- Sleep disorders- Includes snoring, sleep apnea, insomnia, and restless legs.
- Dementia- Affects memory, social abilities, and thinking that interferes with daily activities.
- Peripheral Neuropathy- This a result of damage to your peripheral nerves. It causes weakness and pain in the hands and feet, or possibly other areas of the body.
- Parkinson’s Disease- This is a progressive disorder of the nervous system affecting movement, causing tremors that worsen over time.
- Carpal Tunnel- This is caused by a pinched nerve in the wrist, causing discomfort and immobility. We will use an electromyogram to evaluate the electrical activity in your arm.
- Low back pain- The lower back is a complex structure that requires specialized care to assess where the pain is originating. We look to fix the root of the issue to ensure your back pain does not resurface in the near future.
Make an Appointment
With our neurologist near Stony Brook, an appointment can routinely check to ensure your nerves are fully functioning. At Three Village Neurology, some of the services we provide are:
- Electroencephalography (EEG) – helps to diagnose epilepsy or other nerve disorders.
- Electromyogram (EMG) and Nerve Conduction Studies – helps to diagnose issues between the muscle and nerve connection.
- Polysomnography – helps to diagnose sleep disorders.
If you are in search of a neurologist near Stony Brook, you can trust the doctors at Three Village Neurology. Make an appointment today!